As of today, July 7 2015, I feel like I have a pretty good basic list for hiking gear. I’m certainly no ultralight hiker (yet, and may never be), though there are some things I am likely to purchase over time to reduce weight on my back (someday, a Six Moon Designs or Tarptent single-wall tent, most likely). I should also point out that I don’t think I spent full price on any of the more expensive items; I generally just had a very good idea of what I wanted, and when I saw something on sale, purchased it then. Most of this was acquired over a year and a half or more, as many items were purchased for regular camping prior to me getting involved in backpacking.
In any case, here’s a list of my gear so far to date, with the weights I have personally measured for most items:
- Pack: Gregory Savant 58 backpack (medium), 57 oz (alternate: High Sierra Hawk 40L pack, 67 oz)
- Tent system: Big Agnes Fairview 1, 59.2 oz – OR – Quarter Dome 2, 57 oz.
- Sleeping system: Kelty Cosmic 35 synthetic, 33 oz (alternate for colder weather: North Face Aleutian 20, 61 oz); REI Flash Air Pillow (1.5 oz); NeoAir Trekker sleeping pad (25.6 oz) or Exped Downmat UL7 M (24 oz).
- Etekcity backpacking stove with piezo ignition (4 oz)
- Fuel canister for stove (7 oz full)
- Small aluminum pot with lid (8.4 oz)
- Spoon/fork, 0.4 oz
- Plastic cup, 1 oz
- Lighter, 0.8 oz
- Mora Companion knife, 4.3 oz
- Suunto M-3DL Compass, 1.6 oz
- Headlamp flashlight, 3.7 oz (includes batteries)
- Sawyer Mini water filter, water bag & backflush system, 3.3 oz
- Quick-dry small towel, 1 oz
- Map (0.4 oz, estimated)
- First aid kit, includes bandages, medication, tweezers, etc, 4.8 oz
- Toilet paper (1.5 oz, estimated)
- Toothbrush, 0.5 oz
- Toothpaste, 1.5 oz
- Deodorant, 2.5 oz
- Baby wipes, 1.0 oz
- Cat hole trowel, 3.1 oz